Fathers’ Day was a spectacular day here at Upton, with a lovely atmosphere and hundreds of visitors! With Warwick Univeristy playing on the lawn, and plenty of Triumphs parked down the drive it was a great day.
Our Restaurant was also very busy, and for Fathers’ Day they baked a special Chocolate Guinness cake! It was very popular, and we thought we would share the recipe with you:
For the cake:
250 ml Guinness
250 grams unsalted butter
75 grams cocoa powder
400 grams caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
275 grams plain flour
For the topping:
300 grams cream cheese
150 grams icing sugar
125 ml double cream
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F, and butter and line a nine inch tin.
- Pour the Guinness into a large wide saucepan, add the butter, and heat until the butter has melted. Whisk in cocoa powder and sugar. Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla and pour into the pan. Finally whisk in the flour and bicarbonate of soda.
- Pour the cake mixture into the greased and lined tin and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Allow to cool in the tin on a cooling rack.
- When the cake has cooled, transfer to a cake plate. Lightly whip the cream cheese until smooth, add sieved icing sugar and beat together. Add the cream and beat again to a spreading consistency.
- Ice the top of the cake, and there you have it; delicious Guinness chocolate cake.